Porn Star Martini Recipe – History and How to Make Your Own Passionfruit Puree
The Pornstar Martini is a relatively new cocktail that has been gracing menus and garnering gasps from guests in bars and restaurants around the world.
While many of the world’s favorite cocktails date back to the Prohibition era, the Porn Star Martini was first created in 2002 and features modern, tasty ingredients.
The very first Pornstar Martini was crafted by Douglas Ankrah while he was bartending at The Townhouse bar in Knightsbridge, London. He creatively mixed together vanilla vodka, fresh passionfruit puree, passion fruit liqueur, and lime juice. Then, he poured a splash of champagne into a shot glass and served it as a sidecar.
Ankrah originally named his creation the Maverick Martini, after a “dodgy club” in Cape Town, but later renamed it to the Pornstar Martini we know and love today.
Since the cocktail was born, Ankrah founded his own bar, LAB, and called it ‘The Home of the Pornstar Martini. In 2018, the cheeky cocktail was named the UK’s Favorite Cocktail as it became the most ordered cocktail in US bars, restaurants, and pubs. As a result, Absolut Vanilla rose to the top of the charts as the UK’s #1 Flavored Vodka!
You can make your own Pornstar Martini at home or work (if you work in a bar, that is. We don’t recommend mixing cocktails in the office) with this recipe:
- 25ml vanilla vodka
- 25ml passion fruit liqueur
- 20ml passion fruit puree
- 50ml Pineapple Juice
- 25ml champagne or prosecco, chilled
- Combine all ingredients except the champagne or prosecco into a shaker with ice
- Shake vigorously until ingredients are well combined and chilled
- Strain ingredients into a chilled coupe or martini glass
- Fill a shot glass with champagne or prosecco
- Serve the martini with the shot glass on the side
Make Fresh Passion Fruit Puree & Garnish at Home for your Pornstar Martini Recipe
You can find passionfruit puree in some stores or online, but cocktails always taste best when made with fresh ingredients.
It’s very simple to make passionfruit puree at home. All you need is:
- A passionfruit
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- A little bit of water
- A mesh strainer
- A bowl
- A whisk
- A spoon
- Start by cutting your passionfruit in half. You can use as many as you want, it all depends on how much puree you’re looking to make.
- Scoop out the pulp with a spoon and place it into a mixing bowl
- Add a teaspoon of powdered sugar at a time until your puree reaches a sweetness that you like
- Add a tablespoon or two of water
- Whisk everything together* until the pulp is smooth. Add more water if too thick
- Strain the puree through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds
*You can also use a blender or food processor to make the process faster and easier.
Enjoy Your Pornstar Martini
Bar Brothers Events reminds you to always enjoy responsibly, our bar hire services are for everyone, but we always encourage responsible drinking.